Thursday, November 4, 2010

Blogging Day 77: Zombie Cupcakes



This past Friday for work, we had a Halloween party, and I decided to dress up as a zombie. We also had a to bring a side dish or dessert, and my first thought was to make vampire cupcakes. I had made them for a friend, who was a fan of True Blood, for her birthday a couple months back.


They are basically vanilla cupcakes with cherry filling. I found them extremely cute and tasty. 



I thought dressing up as a zombie and bringing vampire cupcakes was a bit of cross branding. You know when you Chanel sunglasses while carrying a Prada bag. Very no-no. ( Of course I do it all the time, but do as I say not as I do. ) My point is,I decided to be a little inventive and create the ' ZOMBIE CUPCAKE'. 

I named it myself. I am so proud of my little zombies.  Sometimes I find my awesomeness to be to much, don't you? Alas, its a burden we must all endure.

Ingredients you will need:

Vanilla/Yellow/White Cupcake Mix( already mixed together)
Green Food Coloring
Cupcake Cups
Can of Cherry Pie filling
Chocolate Powder
2 Pastry bags
Icing Tips
Chop Stick

First drop about three drops of green dye into your already mixed together cake mix. 

I am using a Kitchen Aid, but any mixer will do. Even if it's the old fashion, stone age tool, the spoon. Keep adding three drops at a time until you get the desired green color that YOU want.



Line your cupcake pan with the cupcake cups and cook them according to the cake box instructions. Or if you are hard core, your own recipe.  I have yet to master the cake, my cake's always come out bland and tasteless, but one day I will achieve my goal of making a delicious cake by hand.


Now that you have all the cupcakes baked. Set them aside to cool down.

REMEMBER: DO NOT walk away and leave your cupcakes unprotected. Your family members need only one minute alone with your cupcakes to cupcake-nap them.



 Next you need to puree the cherry pie filling. Again, I used the Kitchen Aid, but any way you can get those cherries pureed is good.



After your cupcakes are cooled down, cut a triangle shaped hole in your cupcake. Set aside the cut out top.



Take your pureed cherry pie filling and fill one of the pastry bags. Fill up the holes in your cupcakes with the filling.



Now, take the piece that was cut out and remove the access cake, so that all you have left is the crust and cover up the filling.



Set the cupcakes aside, and now work on the icing.

Again, add three drops of food coloring, mix and continue until you have the desired green color.



Using a plain circle tip at the end of the pastry bag, fill up the bag with the lovely green icing. Ice the cupcakes until you have a nice layer of icing.




Place your cupcakes in the fridge for about 15-30mins, so the icing will set.
After the icing has hardened, remove from fridge.
To smooth out the icing you will need an icing spatula and a cup of hot water.


Using the heated spatula, smooth out the icing. I find it easier when the icing is set because I do not move all the icing, just the top layer.


Now with the chopstick you are going to make impressions that look like teeth. It took me awhile to get the hang of it, but after a while I got pretty good. Amazing, the kind of skills you will acquire if you try.

Taking the chocolate powder, sprinkle around the teeth marks to get the desired rotted out bite look. You can also wet the end of the chopstick and pat the chocolate powder onto the teeth marks. I did both, it all depends what you find easier.



Now, for the last step, take your left over pureed cherry filling and add the blood marks. Again, practice makes perfect.


ALL DONE!

Perfect for Halloweens parties, horror movie night, zombie movie premieres, all night marathons of Resident Evil 4, or in celebration of the new show 'The Walking Dead'( Trailer Below).

Have fun! Remember: Be Creative, Be Imaginative and Make it your own!

<3 Zerila




No comments:

Journal With Me 9/19/20

  Journal - Santa Gave it to Me :) Wood Background  Background Paper: Craft Smart, Cedar Lodge Paper Pad, Michaels Fiskars Paper-cutter: JOA...