Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blogging Day 167 : Chinese New Year Inspired Cupcakes


First things first, I googled how to write Happy New Year in Chinese characters and if I did it wrong at all, I do apologize. I mean no disrespect.

Now, onto the fun stuff! The Chinese New Year Celebration has begun!

Happy New Years Everyone!
We celebrated the New Year at work and I was inspired to create these cupcakes.
Let's Begin!

Items you will need ( the numbers given will give you the above look, numbers can vary based how many people will devour your cupcakes):

Icing: I used Martha Stewart's Buttercream Icing with a tbsp of cinnamon. It added a nice flavor, I could not think of a flavor that was Chinese that would be good for cupcakes. Maybe ginger?
Icing Round Tip
Icing Bag: I used a gallon ziplock bag and honestly, they are a lot easier to use then your normal bag because it allows for more room to stuff the icing in. Just cut off a corner and insert tip.
18 Cupcakes: I used yellow cake.
Hot Water
Icing Spatula
Print out of Happy New Year in Chinese Characters.
14 Fortune Cookie
Black Gel Icing

Let's Being

Step 1:



For some reason I got some crazy looking cupcakes this time around. No worries, as morphed as your cupcakes are, it can always be covered up with icing.


Layout your cupcakes and fill your icing bag with icing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 2:




Squirt out icing on top of your cupcake. It does not have to be perfect, just make sure you put enough icing on there.

Once done, place in fridge for about 30 minutes or more, until the icing has harden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 3:


Once the icing has harden, it's time to smooth out the cupcakes. Taking a glass of hot water, dip the icing spatula in the hot water and smooth out the icing. You can grab a paper towel and wipe off any icing you take off, or excess water. The heat will allow you to easily smooth out the icing.

Do not put away the water and the spatula yet!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Step 4:



Now that your cupcakes are all smoothed out, set aside all but four. With the picture of the Chinese characters close, use the black gel icing and write out the characters.

Do not worry if you make a mistake. Using the spatula, scrap off the black icing. You may scrap off a bit of the white icing. If you find you are making to many mistakes on one cupcake, and it looks like your are about to run out of the white icing, grab another cupcake and being again.

The last two characters were the hardest for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last step:



On the rest of the cupcakes place a fortune cookie on top.

Granted, the characters are not perfect, but a fun idea to celebrate a culture's holiday. I encourage everyone to find a city that is celebrating the New Year and check it out. I plan on traveling to DC and watch the festivities there.

Have fun! Remember: Be creative, Be Imaginative and Make it your own!


Veggies/Water: I have been eating ALOT of oranges lately! I have one for breakfast, lunch and snack. Very yummy!

Oh, I finally added a picture of myself in my profile! I was having a lot of fun with my computer's camera program.

OH!!! Big announcement! My Grandpa is getting married!!! Congratulations Grandpa!!

<3 Zerila

No comments:

Journal With Me 9/19/20

  Journal - Santa Gave it to Me :) Wood Background  Background Paper: Craft Smart, Cedar Lodge Paper Pad, Michaels Fiskars Paper-cutter: JOA...