Friday, April 15, 2011

Blogging Day 237: Geocaching in Minnesota & Maple Syrup

There is not a lot to do in Aiken, Minnesota that is close. Normally, in the land of 10,000 thousand lakes, we would go swimming everyday. But, in the middle of April, with snow coming tomorrow, and ice still on the lakes.....


I decide that, that would not be a good idea. I do not fancy that being a human popsicle is fun, nor am I curious to find out...

Before I begin, you ask, what is Geocaching??

Well, I have a lovely video or you...





I could not do a better introduction then the above video that is on Geocaching's homepage.

They have caches all over the world, even at the pyramids in Egypt!!!!


I'm adding this website to my awesome website list. A very cool website to have in your favorites.

Anyway, this is the cache we found.


 The cache was hidden in a group of birch trees that had logs in between that formed an 'X'.

My mom was the first to point it out stating," I bet it's in there. X marks the spot".

She of course was right... as mothers always are.

Now, as were driving along, my mom noticed these green plastic containers with plastic tubing coming out of trees all along the road.




Weird, huh?
My dad explained that the trees were maple trees and it was getting the sap out of the trees.

FYI-It's alot of work to make maple syrup!! For every 40 gallons of maple syrup you only get 1 gallon of maple syrup!!! ONE!!!!

This is how a manufacture makes maple syrup:




This how they do it at home:



Before watching this video, I didn't think the sap came out in liquid form. Evidently it does at that time of year.

A lot of work to make maple syrup. No wonder it is so expensive in stores.


<3Zerila

No comments:

Journal With Me 9/19/20

  Journal - Santa Gave it to Me :) Wood Background  Background Paper: Craft Smart, Cedar Lodge Paper Pad, Michaels Fiskars Paper-cutter: JOA...